RUSHFORD ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
The Rushford Alumni Association was organized in 1896 and held its first banquet in June of that year. Members that first year included students of Rushford Academy who graduated from 1888 through 1896. Sometime after 1900, the annual meeting was changed from late June to the Friday night prior to Labor Day. In 1937 the banquet was held for the first time in the brand new Rushford Central School building where dinner was served to two hundred people. This attendance mark was not surpassed until 2008 when about 230 people attended the banquet. The high attendance in 2008 was associated with the fact that alumni were drawn to the celebration of Rushford’s bicentennial on that same weekend. No banquet was held during the latter years of the Second World War because gas rationing was in effect and so many alumni were serving in the armed forces. Except for perhaps two instances since 1937, the annual meeting and banquet has always been held at the School at Rushford.
About a 1,000 alumni who graduated from high school in Rushford are still alive today. The Class of 1991 was the final one to graduate from the former Rushford Central School. Although any graduate of Cuba-Rushford Central School who attended elementary school at Rushford is welcome to join the Rushford Alumni Association, total membership in the Association is understandably shrinking as time goes on. Nevertheless, a significant number of alumni remain active in their support of the Association.
The Association provides a means for members to keep alive memories of school life at Rushford, honor a common heritage, stay in contact, and renew friendships. A newsletter published once a year beginning in 2003 has helped maintain “the spirit of Rushford” among alumni, including those not attending the annual banquet.
Beginning with the banquet in 2001 a member of the graduating class at Cuba-Rushford Central School and residing within the boundaries of the former Rushford Central School District has been awarded the Alumni Association’s Albro Scholarship. The scholarship is named in honor and memory of W.W. and Ruth Albro, who as principal and teachers for many years, contributed much to the education of students graduating from the former Rushford Central School. Funds for the scholarship result from voluntary contributions of Association members.
Mailing Address: Rushford Alumni Association
Rushford, NY 14777